30 May 2009

Visiting with a Fan: American Visionary Art Museum

During a recent visit to Baltimore, I stopped by a museum that has long been on my want to visit list, the American Visionary Art Museum. It barely beat out Great Blacks in Wax, though I think that will be my next new Baltimore cultural destination.

I could go on and on about some of the pieces I saw there- an apple wood trunk self portrait sculpture, large fabric pieces that incorporated stolen items, a thermal camera installation that plays "Fever"- but the point of this post is not so much a review of the museum as it is of my experience there.

I visited with an AVAM member and as a first timer, I will admit that I relied somewhat on his knowledge of the place to guide my path. He didn't force me to go through the exhibits in any set order and we would wander around galleries on our own, but he made an effort to point out favorite artists and pieces. More often than not, it was something that I had overlooked in my quest to see as much as possible, making me retrace my steps and take more time to look. After looking again, a conversation would begin, jumping off from the art and into our personal histories. It was like living a museum studies article: using the art on the walls to connect with people.

And while I enjoyed the company and conversation, I wonder how my visit would have differed had I experienced the museum my usual way: alone. I may be in the minority that I typically visit museums on my own- perhaps this has to do with my academic background in museums- but I love wandering through galleries with no real set path, open to stumbling upon whatever exhibit has been put up for me. Those of you who know me in real life will remark that this is a sharp contrast to almost anything else I do; I love a plan. Maybe this is because I've gotten used to visiting museums multiple times. Living in DC has spoiled me. But I wonder what pieces would have caught my eye if I were on my own or what conversations I would have had after the fact.

I certainly don't regret going to the museum with a frequent patron. It was a fantastic way to spend an afternoon and a great way to learn more about a friend. It also challenged my typical museum habits. What are your thoughts- better to wander alone or do you appreciate the benefits of attending with a regular visitor?

And because I can't help it, a note, AVAM: your labels tend to be super long and not consistent.

If you do plan on visiting, remember to show your AAM member card; it gets you $1 off the $14 price of admission. And even though I forgot to flash mine, your student ID will get you in for $8.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally get your point!

Depending on my motivations I enjoy going to museums by myself AND with others.... it really depends on the circumstance.

As an educator, I've tried to constantly balance what I want my group to see (after all, there is a method to the madness of museum tours) and what they spontaneously become interested in, sometimes on a whim. When you're the person calling all the shots (it may be an adult with a child, or in my case an educator with a group) being open to those moments makes all the difference.

It's important to be the leader and to sometimes be led.

In thinking about this, I also like going to museums with friends, even if they expect me to be all museum-heady (which I'm not) because I'm the one who ends up learning so much from them (even if it's a museum that I frequent).