04 June 2009

Walking Tour Halted

On Sunday, I, along with a friend, attempted to go on a walking tour of Dupont Circle that highlighted historical scandals. The titillating topic and gorgeous weather brought out people in droves, which caught the Historic Dupont Circle Main Street reps a bit off guard. With no megaphone, the pour guide had to contend with traffic noise and though he had a book and other visuals, they were best suited for a classroom setting instead of on the side of the street.

After the first stop (talking about the Hope Diamond at the Indonesian Embassy), we decided to leave the group and go get frozen yogurt. I would have liked to stay on the tour, but being able to hear the guide is kinda integral to the whole experience. I hope that it improved as the tour went on and while the popularity of the tour is a good thing, I hope that they learn from this experience and plan accordingly for future events. Encouraged registration would help estimate numbers as well as gather ever important email addresses for future events. Multiple guides leaving at staggered times would be a great help. Since the tour is in the neighborhood, I found that the buildings and surroundings were adequate visual aides and the fact I couldn't see photos in a book clearly merely frustrated me. Perhaps the book could be listed as a reference after the tour.

I've emailed Historic Dupont Circle to see if they will be putting the tour online- I really did want to learn about those scandals!- and depending on how the email conversation goes, maybe I'll share my thoughts here. I'll be sure to update you!

No comments: